How to get your ex to pay child support as ordered after a divorce

Well, I am sure Kimora Lee Simmons won’t have to do what I am going to tell you to do to get your child support. Because her ex husband Russell Simmons has said, and I quote: I wasn’t ordered to pay $40,000 per month in child support. I offered it. If I have it, they can have it…endquote. He sounds like a really generous dad, doesn’t he? So I am betting his ex-wife is not going to have trouble collecting her child support. Maybe that is why I put them on our Divorce “It” List of 2008:
But other people do, the rest of us hoi polloi, from time to time, have some trouble collecting court ordered child support. Didn’t 50 Cents’ ex Shaniqua sue to get more or something like that? Oh, wait. She sued to get “alimony.” Check out this post here: 
Well. So. Usually what you want to do, is get a court to order that the Support Collection Unit (“SCU”) will collect the child support directly from the other parent’s paycheck, bank account, stock account, IRS refund, or whatever.
To do that, there has to be a signed court order that gives the Child Support Collection Unit the right to tap those accounts (this will be made feasible by providing your ex spouse’s social security number to the agency). Then, whatever is ordered per month, they just basically grab it from those accounts. It is sort of like a wage garnishment if you think about it like that. But it really isn’t. Unless it is. If the agency is unable to collect the full amount, that goes to the arrears. I have seen arrears in the six figures from parents who may make less than $40,000 per year. And those arrears cannot be negotiated away. Under some circumstances, your spouse can be jailed for failing to pay child support, btw.
What happens if the agency can’t find income? Well sometimes your ex may hide income and say, “oh, I don’t have a job. I am broke.” Meanwhile they live in Greenwich Connecticut and have a vacation house in Mustique, just to give an outlandish example.
Well, in that case, you have to go back to court and ask the court to “impute” income to your spouse to the tune of the value of those properties and the level of income it would take to maintain properties of that value. Maybe that vacation house on Mustique needs to be sold?
Other Russell/Kimora post here: