How to divorce a rapper

A lot of rappers either don’t get married, or when they divorce they do it quietly. Because other than Eminem, I don’t think I’ve heard of any high profile rappers getting divorced. Or maybe I’m not reading the right press. I have heard of rappers in high profile child support cases, like 50 cents. So either rappers are too smart to get married in the first place, or they are making their spouses sign air tight prenups, or they are just not getting press so nobody knows what’s going on.
How does one divorce a rapper? Well, you want to get a look at his record/recording deal to see what portion of that assets is “marital” and how big a piece you would be entitled to. Remember that the marital asset is only that portion that accrued during the marriage. Does he have any endorsement deals, like maybe clothing deals, shoes, sneakers, alcohol, cars and things like that?
What about royalties on work he did during the marriage? You get a piece of that.
What about the marital residence? Well, you may be looking at more than one residence, maybe plots of land in, say Atlanta, a building somewhere. You have to figure out who owns what. Is your name on the deed? Or the mortgage? How is title held?
There may be a lot of jewelry (bling bling!), high-priced cars, furniture and other “assets” that would have to either be liquidated, split between the two parties, or traded for some other assets between the parties.
As far as custody, the same rules apply. Make sure you’re a good mom. The fact that you’re the mom doesn’t mean you are automatically going to get custody. You have to show the court that you are fit to be the custodial parent.  If the court for any reason feels that you are not fit (or god forbid if your husband is also not fit) then you are looking at supervised visitation and all sorts of nonsense.
So, avoid all that by being a mother above reproach if you want to keep your children. And don’t think of using the kids as a pawn either. If your husband is the father, prepare to allow him a healthy paternal role in the child’s life.
Child support and those issues are governed by statute in New York. Normally a noncustodial parent will pay a pre-determined percentage of adjusted gross income in child support. So if we are talking about one child, the percentage is 17% of adjusted gross income. But that only covers income under $80,000.00.  For income over $80,000, then you are looking at the marital standard of living, ability to pay, needs of the child, judicial discretion, and a host of other factors.
But have you tried relationship bootcamp? I wrote a post about that a few days back. Try boot camp first. Then if you just can’t make it work, seek legal counsel. Good luck.
Originally published 12/20/08