Can the police serve my spouse the divorce petition?

Under normal circumstances, I think the general rule is that the police and sheriff do not get involved in serving divorce papers or petitions, unless there is domestic violence alleged or if there is an order of protection in place. For sure, that is the rule in New York. Each state and country is different, obviously. But it would seem an abuse of the system and a waste of resources to have police officers serve divorce papers when their time could and should be spent fighting crime. So the long and short of it is, yes the police can serve your spouse the divorce papers, but they probably won’t unless there is some issue of domestic violence that is a matter of record with the court and/or police department.