Making a Habeas Corpus motion on behalf of a child in a contested situation

Sometimes, when fighting for custody, you and your lawyer may choose to petition the court for a writ of habeas corpus. What that basically will do is it will demand that one party produce the child in court for the court to hear why one or the other parent should or should not have custody over the child. This usually happens in a quasi kidnapping situation where neither parent has legal custody but one of them have run off with the kids and so the habeas corpus is basically ordering them to produce the children in court for a hearing. It’s called a writ of habeas corpus and failing to obey this writ could land a parent in jail.
It is worth noting, however, that jail is the last resort.