25 QUESTIONS TO ASK A DIVORCE LAWYER, ATTORNEY, OR SOLICITOR BEFORE YOU SIGN A RETAINER AGREEMENT
Before you pick a divorce lawyer, you have to do the interview. It is probably a good idea to interview more than one divorce lawyer or solicitor before you choose one. What are the right questions to ask them? Here are 25 you might start with:
1. Is divorce your specialty? Or are you a general practitioner?
2. How long have you been practicing law?
3. How long have you been specializing in divorce law?
4. Where did you go to law school?
5. What is your hourly billable rate?
6. How often will you bill me? And exactly what will I be billed for?
7. Have you handled contested divorces before? If you what is your style? Are you very aggressive? Or do you use a more congenial approach?
8. What do you think my biggest challenge with my case is?
9. Do you have cases in the courts in my county of residence or do you normally practice in another county?
10. How well do you know the judges in my county? Do the judges respect you?
11. Have you litigated a case before or do you generally settle cases?
12. What is the worse case scenario you’ve ever handled?
13. Are your negotiation skills excellent, good, fair or poor would you say?
14. What is the best strategy to win custody of the kids in my case?
15. If we have to go to trial will you be handling my case alone or will you have someone to help you? If you have someone to help you, who will that be and could I meet with that person?
16. How long do you think my case will take give or take to reach a resolution?
17. Based on the facts I presented, what is your take? Is this case going to be very complex and difficult to resolve? If so, what is the ball park figure we are looking at in terms of legal fees?
18. Where should I file the case if I want a strategic advantage? And what about the timing? Should I file now or wait a little bit?
19. What kinds of paper work will I need to bring you?
20. Can I bug my spouse’s phone or put spyware on the computer to get evidence to make the case stronger?
21. How many cases similar to mine would you say you have handled?
22. Have you ever been disciplined by the bar for problems with a client?
23. 24. Can I get exclusive occupancy of the home while the case is pending?
24. Can I get my spouse to pay attorney’s fees?
25. Why did you make divorce law your specialty